Saturday, April 23, 2011

friends + camera + tripod + 1am = MAGIC

Recently in my photography class we've been learning about night photography and all the cool things you can do with it. We'd never use flash, but instead have learned how to keep the shutter open for a long time so that it sucks in all the light from surrounding areas (the shutter is the part of your lens that opens and closes to let light in; for night photography, I use a 20-30 second long shutter speed, but with normal pictures I generally use anywhere between 1/15 of a second to 1/3200 of a second, depending on the lighting situation). Thuuuus, with a steady tripod, nice long shutter speed, and a flash light, a pitch black yard turns out to be a canvas fullllll of opportunities. ;) But don't just take my word for it! See for yourself....
(And if my short, shutter speed explanation didn't make any sense here's a better clarification.)



(Keep in mind, it was literally pitch black out for these photos, minus the street lamps that gave just a little bit of light...)


What up, 5 Merritt...


Our beautiful Merritt Rd.... Cherishing it while we still have it :(










Inapro-pro? Maybe... But I couldn't resist.












T.A.P stands for The Africa Project, which is a group started by some of my very best friends to raise $30,000 in the next few years to build an orphanage in Africa. Check them out on facebook!


A few from Night #2....


Waaazzz up, Megan + Lauren! ;) Roomies next year.

 

The moon at 4:30am. Don't ask me if I stayed up til 4:30 or woke up before 4:30. I will not answer you.



3 comments:

  1. ummm,if you started your (way cool!) photo shoot at 1am, then I’m guessing the moon shot (at 4:30) was a stayed-up-all-night shot :) okay, so if I’m following, you would have the subject stand in one place for say 5 seconds, move for the next 5-10 seconds, and then again for the remaining 5 (as you kept the, “shutter open for a long time so that it sucks in all the light from surrounding areas” ~ succinct and eye-opening way to explain this concept, and it reminds me that when I stand in darkness, I need to stop and suck in all the light)? is that how you captured your subjects in different spots within the same shot? and painting names (yes, “DEBS” is so okay, I know of no photographer who does not identify, or claim their work) and things like, “TAP” (humbled by the group striving to raise $30,000) across the photo was that edited in, or spelled with the flashlight? regardless, this is unique, creatively thought-of stuff . . . and, it makes me smile even harder to picture you walking around snapping photos of our family . . . with my old NIKON! :) yaljaya xoxoxo p.s. “cherishing merritt road,” while you have it? where’s it going? and “merritt” wasn’t that a name that appeared on the, “CNU hand testimonies (“prince merritt”)? ummm, one more thing, “poop”? :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBZmmuUYoWs

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEBS! You are so cool and so talented. GO JESUS! He rocks and He has blessed you with some greaaaatt talent! woo woo!

    ReplyDelete