Tuesday, April 19, 2011

This One's for Swerv

This past weekend was a one of happiness and sadness, joy and sorrow. I went home to Northern Virginia this weekend for a friend -- Ashleigh Mills' (now Ashleigh Eagy) -- wedding. It was a simple and beautiful wedding, and I loved getting to be there and experience her special day.

However, my joy took a sharp turn when I was on my way back to CNU, driving with my Mom & brother Clark and our friend Ben & his Mom, all who were heading to the Va Beach area to do some college visiting. It was towards the beginning of our journey down to CNU that I received the text. It was from my friend, Hector, a Junior at CNU. I had planned to do a short photoshoot for Hector and his girlfriend, Kathryn, later that day (when I was back), and had texted them to confirm the time. The response text from Hector was one I could never have imagined, nor prepared myself for.

"Hey debbie," it read, "Brian Herrmann passed away yesterday, so the basketball team is meeting--"

Brian Herrmann? As in, CNU's Brian Herrmann (better known as Swerv)? As in, the 21 year old Junior, and Forward on the basketball team? As in, my coworker and friend at the Freeman Center (gym)?

What?

Gone. Taken. Just like that. A heavy storm, an uncontrollable car... and he's gone.

I couldn't believe it. I still can't. Yesterday was tear-filled, today I'm just in shock. It's so hard to come to grips with -- losing a friend and a coworker, someone I saw on a regular basis, someone I enjoyed hanging out with.

Swerv brought so much happiness and fun to the Freeman Center staff, his friends, & his teammates. He was liked by all, and as a coworker, worked diligently and always with a smile on his face.

We will never forget you, Swerv. Your memory and your smile will always be with us.




(Matthew 5:4)

1 comment:

  1. "happiness and sadness, joy and sorrow" ~ such are the ingredients of life precious one, that you had to learn them at such a young age breaks my heart, and yet, that you know life to hold such things, makes you all the more ready to run the race that lies before you, run it in such a way as to grasp the prize (i corinthians 9:24), i, for one, believe you have just the stuff to accomplish this thing ~ i believe in you, just as you are ~ and one more thing, i love your heart xoxoxo

    the voice of mirth and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride (jeremiah 33:11)

    O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? (i corinthians 15:55)

    ReplyDelete